Falmouth RFC 61-12 Tamar Saracens

Dominant Falmouth defeat Saracens

By Joseph Macey

A powerful team performance from Falmouth ensured a comfortable victory over Tamar Saracens and extended their lead at the top of the table to fourteen points.

With Saracens bottom of the table Falmouth were looking to pick up a big victory and continue their unbeaten run. They duly delivered.

Vice-Captain David Jones gave full credit to Saracens after the game: “We are over the moon with the victory but the opposition had nothing to lose and full credit to them because they really gave us a game in the second half.”

“The next match is against Saltash who are doing well in the league. We aren’t confident, but we are determined to go there and do our jobs.”

The two teams were yet to meet in the league so there could have been some nerves before the game but these were settle by two early tries. The first came through David Jones after excellent play from Tommy Spiller and Justyn Irons, Jones bursting through for the opening try. Irons converting.

After play restarted Falmouth were awarded a penalty which Irons kicked. It clipped the post and Nick Carne was there to bundle over.

The game had a short break in play just after a nasty and unnecessary challenge from a Saracens player. The referee defused the situation well and awarded Falmouth a penalty which Irons put through the posts to extend Falmouth’s lead.

Shortly after, the same Saracens player was yellow-carded after another bad challenge. Credit to the referee as he watched both sections of play and rightly awarded the yellow card.

The game restarted and Falmouth were straight back on the attack. After neat play down the wing the ball was switched to Dan Hubble who darted through and beat his man for his first try of the day.

This was an intense affair with Saracens really digging in to stay in the game. But as the game progressed Falmouth really started to find their feet.

Saracens were struggling to contain Spiller and again he was the creator showing nice hands and the vision to pass inside for Brad Cock to get the ball over the line, only for the try to be disallowed by the referee.

Just before half time the game looked all but won with two quick-fire tries. The first coming after neat play from Irons to Tom Edmunds to score.

Vice-captain David Jones drove at the Saracens defence from halfway and ran the length of the field passing to Brad Cock who scored his first try in an Eagles’ shirt.

The half ended with Falmouth firmly in the driving seat. Dominating possession and the team playing brilliant rugby.

Falmouth picked up where they left off after the break and continued to attack Saracens. The power of Falmouth was too much for the home side with Jon Baglow, Matthew Brewer and Trevor Ward doing quality work in the scrum.

The first try of the second half came after quick play across the line from Thomas Job and David Jones opened space for Dan Hubble to score. Hubble was delighted to score another couple of tries: “We started off well with good pressure leading to some good break away tries. Second half they realized that their game was with the forwards, which worked to our strengths. It’s always nice to score, so I hope I keep getting the chance to show what I can do.”

This was quickly followed by more tidy play from Irons and Job who played a good pass for David Jones to bundle over for his second try.

Credit to Saracens as they dug their heels in and broke through for their first try. They scored initially but after some discussion from the referee and the linesman it was disallowed. But from the restart they forced over.

Falmouth’s final try came through Tom Simmons after a good carry by Irons. Simmons dived over and sealed the win in fine fashion.

Falmouth’s next game is away at second place Saltash. 2:30 kick off at Moorlands Lane, PL12 4HJ.