Falmouth battled hard and led their higher division opponents at halftime. Photo by Joseph Macey

By Joseph Macey, Truthfal sports reporter

Falmouth Eagles fell to a 27-13 semi-final defeat by a powerful St Austell side in a thrilling match in the Cornwall Cup.

The visitors played some fantastic rugby at times and had a hold of Saturday’s game for a long period. However, St Austell, who are a division above Falmouth, eventually showed their class to book their place in the final.

Despite the defeat Falmouth chairman James Instance was happy with the team’s efforts. He told Truthfal: “I think it was a fair result. I think we competed very well in the first half. We were 6-0 up until the last minute of the half and then 6-3.

“As we got a little bit more tired they started to capitalise on our mistakes and they scored three tries. We did fight back to get a try of our own but it is a bit of an eye opener of where we need to be if we are going to be competing against teams like this next season.”

It took a while for the first points to be scored as both teams were so evenly matched. Falmouth opened the scoring through a penalty which was kicked by full back Tom Edmunds.

They extended their lead when they were again given another penalty which they chose to kick. Tom Edmunds scored to extend Falmouth’s lead to 6-0.

The game was tight but slowly St Austell began to find their feet in the game. They caused problems in the scrum for Falmouth and started to push them back.

After lengthy St Austell pressure they got a vital three points just before halftime through a penalty from full back Cavan Boyer to make the score 6-3.

St Austell started the second half in confident mood and an early try through forward George Knowles gave St Austell an 8-6 lead.

As the pressure was building on Falmouth the ball was overturned for Liam Freeman to chase and dive over with the kick converted by Boyer to make it 15-6. With 20 minutes left St Austell scored a quickfire penalty try through Knowles to stretch their advantage to 20-6.

The game looked out of sight for Falmouth as they kept being pegged back. However, they fought back to give themselves a lifeline with an excellent try through centre Ben Ackner and at 20-13 with just under 10 minutes left this made a comeback seem a real possibility.


Sadly for Falmouth it wasn’t to be and St Austell scored another try through Miles Davey to settle any nerves and it was converted by Cavan Boyer.

The forwards were the real difference in this game and Falmouth showed incredible determination to force their way back into the game.

After the match vice-captain David Jones gave his thoughts: “Bit disappointed with the 27-13 loss. Few minutes to go when we scored a try and got within a try of getting the game back. Tough old day out there. They were big and brutal guys. Hard shift for us.”

The Eagles will now switch their focus to the league again next Saturday with an away trip to Tavistock. Sandy Park, PL19 0JL.